I have a hodge-podge of stuff going on, none big enough to warrant their own blog post, so a Five Things Friday is in order. There’s been so much going on behind the scenes lately!
- First and foremost, I am ready for spring. I’m over the cold, the snow, the sleet, the ice, the cold, sweaters, snow boots, colds, and did I mention the cold? I’m ready for flowers and green and sunshine on my arms. I’m planning spring mini sessions right now, and hoping to get the advertisement out by the end of the weekend (dependent on weather) – they’ll be outdoors if at all possible, but will happen regardless!
- As part of my mini session prep and winter-denial, I made some flower crowns for my girls earlier this week. I certainly learned a lot, so I can’t wait to make another round, but I absolutely love the way my first attempt turned out! I wanted to try something a little different in my portraits, so I convinced (bribed, cajoled, yelled) my kids to model for me. Julia was darling, and this is one of my favorite portraits of her to date. I love Lana’s too, but man there were a lot of outtakes from her!Since I want to blow these up huge on beautiful paper and put them on my walls forever, I’m going to try to figure out a way to offer these more formal-type portraits. (I’ve also just used these to order test prints from Musea. I am a total paper snob, and I’m beyond excited to see how these turn out!)
- This website. This is brand-spanking-new. It’s been giving me six fits, but all of the user-error type. It’s just growing pains, so I’ll get over it, but this is HARD! I had to emergency message my computer-genius friend the first night I went live, because I managed to move everything around so poorly that I couldn’t even log back in to undo things. This type of stuff makes me feel so so old.But, it’s worth it already. Obviously, I still have kinks, but I love the mobile site, and this platform (WordPress) gives me lots more room to grow that my old hosting site did not.
- We are building a house across town right now. It’s going to mean about six months of upheaval (we’ll be selling our current home before the new one will be ready, so where we’re living is still up in the air), but I’m so psyched to be making the new place a photographer’s dream. Windows, purposeful lighting, giant beautiful freestanding bathtub (well, that last bit hasn’t cleared by Robert yet….). Every morning, I get up, pour myself a cup of coffee, and sit at our table and pin. Follow me on Pinterest if you’re interested! (Any and all suggestions welcome, I’m kind of overwhelmed.)
- I’m downright awful at any type of 52/365 image project, but I got a new lens so I’ve been extra-motivated to pull it out lately! I got the Sigma Art 35mm 1.4. I waffled for MONTHS on it, and finally pulled the trigger, perhaps just so I could stop thinking about it. It is one of the sharpest lenses I own, and I’m really into prime lenses lately, so it’s a great addition to my bag. Here is my favorite Day-in-the-Life type image of it from the last couple weeks.(Now I just want yet another lens…!)
That’s all I’ve got! Happy weekend! (FINALLY!)
Jessica Glunt is a family and child photographer in St. Louis Missouri, now booking spring sessions!